“How do you clean window film?” It’s a great question and one that many of our San Francisco Bay Area customers ask us. Follow these simple instructions to keep your windows clean and preserve your warranty. (We also have a handy .pdf download that you can find here.)
How To Clean Window Film
Believe it or not, maintaining your window film is easy. The first thing to remember is this: let your window film cure. Based on the type of film and thickness, you will want to wait 30 to 60 days before cleaning. The ClimatePro team can help you determine when you can start cleaning. Once the film has cured, follow these simple steps:
- Use any non-abrasive window cleaning solution, as well as any ammonia-based product like Windex™ or Glass Plus™. Avoid abrasive cleaners, baking soda, or any other solution that contains scrubbing agents.
- Use a soft, lint-free cloth. You can also use a sponge or squeegee. If you have dirt or smudges on the film, rub gently, never scrub.
- Dry the window with a soft, lint-free towel. Don’t use paper towels as many of them are too abrasive for window film.
Here are a few other details to keep in mind:
- Do not wash your windows on the application side for 30 days. This is to ensure enough time for the bonding period (usually 30 to 60 days depending on film type and thickness).
- The installation can look hazy or cloudy for a few days. Do not be alarmed. Optical clarity will be restored after the first few days of bonding.
- All water bubbles will dry out but a few small particles or points may be apparent when dry.
Follow these simple instructions to keep your window film clean and clear. This will ensure that your 3M Window film installation lasts for years to come. Have questions or concerns? Ask them below or give us a call at 707-755-7337.