Many of our window film customers have asked us: How do you measure windows for window film? While our estimators can measure the glass for you, many customers would like to learn how to do it themselves. Here are some simple instructions to use when measuring your windows. We have given you some practical tips below on how to measure up your own windows. It’s much easier to do than you might think.
Measure Your Windows: The Tools
You don’t need too many tools; just three simple ones: a measuring tape, a pen or pencil, and something to write on. If your windows are large, you could also get the help of a family member or friend to assist you. (Just don’t call them tools.)
- Tape measure
- Paper or pencil
- Pad or paper
- Friend or family member
7 Tips For Measuring Windows For Window Film
Measuring your windows might be the first time that you really get a close look at their condition and health. While you are measuring, look for any cracks or and other window damage. These are the things that our team looks for when they provide a window film estimate. Here are 7 tips to keep in mind when measuring your windows.
- Measure the glass on the inside of the window. This is the area where window film will be applied. Don’t include the frame or molding in your final measurements.
- Measure from left to right will give you the width of the glass.
- Measure from top to bottom will give you the height of the glass.
- Use the right tape measure. A flexible one is the best choice.
- For large windows, ask a friend or family member to help you. Measuring a large window by yourself is challenging and you’ll get a more accurate measurement with an extra set of hands.
- Be sure to double-check all measurements. Measure twice and cut once: that’s our motto.
- Keep accurate records. Write your measurements down and be sure to accurately label each window. Many homeowners find it helpful to draw a square, rectangle, or circle, labeling each and adding measurements.
ClimatePro – Your Window Film Experts
With over 40 years of experience, we are the most highly-rated window film and window tint company in the San Francisco Bay Area. We’d love to help you transform your home with energy-saving, UVA protecting window film. Take a look at some of our completed projects here. You can also use our Window Film Selector Tool to explore your options. Get a free estimate here or give us a call 707-755-7337. We look forward to working with you!